Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Back to Spring

And poof, just like that the snow is gone and we're back to spring.  A nice hike at Hall Ranch last Sunday.  I thought for sure we were having the Zombie Apocalypse because the trail was quiet despite being one of the few trails in Boulder County that didn't have snow/ice/mud going on.  And we had a late start due to agility practice beforehand with my training partner who couldn't get an earlier start.


We came across a deer carcass and decided to turn around.  Didn't want to run into any kitties.  Plus I was a bit tired and stiff from a week of training.  On the one hand it seems like I shouldn't be tired and stiff in April but on the other hand I don't feel like I've lost much strength/fitness during the off season.  Swimming especially is going well and I don't feel completely useless on the bike though I haven't been on any real trails yet.  Hopefully weather and schedules will hold out and I'll meet a woman I know through my coach and Xterra racing this week to pre-ride a trail for a mountain bike race I'm thinking of doing in Castle Rock.  Not looking forward to the drive but at least I can go during off peak traffic hours and it'll be nice to ride with someone my age and ability. 

My flexible schedule is the one thing that's keeping life in Too Many People Land tolerable.  At least I can hit up the trails during the week though there are some trails that are even a bit busy during the week these days.  Jonny's work has given him unlimited vacation so we're planning some good trips for the summer.  I've been spending my allotted computer time (limiting my screen time even more than usual these days - the real world is a good place) immersed in Colorado/Utah mountain bike and hiker blogs to get ideas for new to us, more remote places to go.  Neither of us are big on camping and there's the problem of the dogs so some of the multi-day hike/bike adventures in these blogs won't work for us but I think we'll be able to put together some good day trips.  And at least one visit to Cortez/Mancos/Durango to check things out in the heart of summer.

Agility trial this weekend!  Should be fun.  And good practice for the upcoming USDAA Regionals because it's on artificial turf.  Looks like it could be long days though.  We'll see if I make it to last class on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment